Essex presents a unique location opportunity to companies expanding in the UK and European markets in the form of inward investment.
Benefiting from the UK’s highly advantageous business environment, Essex offers direct access to the business and technology hubs of London and Cambridge. Essex also offers a high-quality workforce, unrivalled global connectivity and the UK’s multi-modal logistics gateway which consists of:
- 4 international deep-sea ports
- 6 rail freight terminals
- The UK’s third largest cargo airport (London Stansted) in Essex. Approval was recently granted for an increase in capacity to 43m per year at London Stansted and a brand new arrivals terminal is due to open in 2020.
- London Southend Airport in Rochford, Essex, is one of the UK’s fastest growing airports and frequently tops polls as being London’s favourite airport.
Essex is the location of choice for leading international companies serving industry sectors including Financial and Professional Services, Ports and Logistics, Manufacturing and Technology, as well as Life Sciences and Healthcare.
Through a unique combination of location benefits, Essex offers an unrivalled opportunity for businesses seeking growth in the UK, European and global markets. Essex delivers unbeaten connectivity and combines value-adding benefits with significant cost advantages versus London, Cambridge, the UK’s major cities as well as other international and European competitor locations.
This is underlined by the fact that, by locating in Essex over the City of London (which is just half an hour away by train), businesses can benefit from office property cost savings of 74%, as well as labour cost savings of 48%.
Business location benefits of Essex
Essex combines these value-adding advantages with potentially massive cost savings – enabling your company to save money without compromise:
Major property cost savings:
- 74% versus the City of London
- 54% versus London
- 26% versus England’s major cities
Major labour cost savings:
- 48% versus the City of London
- 21% versus London
- 5% versus England’s major provincial (‘core’) cities
Superb transport connectivity:
- City of London: 28 minutes by train (Liverpool St station from Chelmsford, Essex)
- London Stansted Airport: 30 minutes (Drive time from Chelmsford, Essex)
- London Heathrow Airport: 1 hr 12 mins (Crossrail, from Shenfield, Essex)
- All London Airports: within 1 hour 15 mins (Drive time from Chelmsford, Essex)
A large-scale, specialist workforce:
- 103,000 financial and business services workers in Essex
- 142,000 Essex-based London commuters
- 688,000 accessible London finance cluster workers
See our site opportunities page for available spaces, research parks and business parks in Essex.
Business organisations in Essex
Located at the heart of the London-Stansted-Cambridge Innovation Corridor, Essex is home to world-class companies, research parks, skilled workers and university research capabilities.
Key high-growth sectors in Essex include:
- High Tech and Engineering services
- Life Sciences and Healthcare
- Finance and Professional services
- Ports and Logistics
Essex offers direct access to Europe’s best research universities and knowledge. The University of Cambridge and Imperial College London are both ranked in Europe’s top 3 for Engineering and Technology, and Life Sciences. The University of Essex was named University of the Year at the Times Higher Education (THE) Awards 2018 and ranks amongst the UK’s top 20 universities for research excellence.
See the Essex location map for more businesses in Essex.