Invest ESSEX is an investment promotion agency (IPA) that encourages inward investment and foreign direct investment into Essex – a county which presents a unique location opportunity to companies expanding in the UK and European markets.
Benefiting from the UK’s highly advantageous business environment, Essex offers direct access to the business and technology hubs of London and Cambridge. Essex also offers a high-quality workforce, unrivalled global connectivity and the UK’s multi-modal logistics gateway which consists of:
- 4 international deep-sea ports
- 6 rail freight terminals
- The UK’s third largest cargo airport (London Stansted) in Essex, where approval was recently granted for an increase in capacity to 43m per year at London Stansted and a brand new arrivals terminal due to open in 2020.
- London Southend Airport in Rochford, Essex is one of the UK’s fastest growing airports and frequently tops polls as London’s favourite airport.
As the 8th largest economy in the UK, Essex is the location of choice for leading international companies serving industry sectors including Financial and Professional Services, Ports and Logistics, Manufacturing and Technology, as well as Life Sciences and Healthcare.
Through its unique combination of location benefits, Essex offers an unrivalled opportunity for businesses seeking growth in the UK, European and global markets, with the UK itself ranking second behind only the US over the past 10 years for inward investment. As of 2018, 57% of the global Fortune 500 companies with a European HQ based it in the UK (114 out of 201. (Deloitte)
Essex delivers unbeaten connectivity and combines value-adding benefits with significant cost advantages versus London, Cambridge, other major UK cities as well as other international and European competitor locations.
This is underlined by the fact that, by locating in Essex over the City of London (which is just half an hour away by train), businesses can benefit from market rent savings of 33%, in addition to labour cost savings.
At Invest ESSEX, we offer fully-funded and bespoke services to businesses seeking to expand in the UK and Europe including site selection, office space, in addition to business relocation to Essex, a county which provides near unparalleled connections to and from London.
For more information about relocating your business to Essex, send us an email to email@example.com.
Business organisations in Essex
Located at the heart of the London-Stansted-Cambridge UK Innovation Corridor, Essex is a magnet for inward investment, with the East of England as a region seeing a record level of foreign direct investment in 2017. This ensures that Essex is home to world-class companies, research parks, skilled workers and university research capabilities.
Key high-growth sectors in Essex include:
- High Tech and Engineering services
- Life Sciences and Healthcare
- Finance and Professional services
- Ports and Logistics
Essex also offers direct access to Europe’s best research universities and knowledge. The University of Cambridge and Imperial College London are both ranked in Europe’s top 3 for Engineering and Technology, and Life Sciences. The University of Essex was named University of the Year at the Times Higher Education (THE) Awards 2018 and ranks among the UK’s top 20 universities for research excellence.
See the Essex location map for more businesses in Essex.
Business location benefits of Essex
Essex combines these value-adding advantages with potentially massive cost savings, attracting inward investment and enabling your company to save money without compromise:
Major property cost savings:
- 74% versus the City of London
- 54% versus London
- 26% versus England’s major cities
Major labour cost savings:
- 48% versus the City of London
- 21% versus London
- 5% versus England’s major provincial (‘core’) cities
Superb transport connectivity:
- City of London: 28 minutes by train (Liverpool St station from Chelmsford, Essex)
- London Stansted Airport: 30 minutes (Drive time from Chelmsford, Essex)
- London Heathrow Airport: 1 hr 12 mins (Crossrail, from Shenfield, Essex)
- All London Airports: within 1 hour 15 mins (Drive time from Chelmsford, Essex)
A large-scale, specialist workforce:
- 103,000 financial and business services workers in Essex
- 142,000 Essex-based London commuters
- 688,000 accessible London finance cluster workers
See our site opportunities page for available spaces, research parks and business parks in Essex.