Harlow Enterprise Zone is a new science and IT park in a campus style environment with excellent transport connections providing a new development for advanced manufacturing and life sciences/medical technology businesses. The on-site linkages with Anglia Ruskin University provide a dynamic collaborative environment between business and higher education with increased opportunities for innovation and enterprise. The Enterprise Zone contributes to economic growth and the UK’s export potential.
Harlow’s growing reputation as a science-led town, a reputation started in the 60’s with the development of Fibre Optic Technology by Nobel Prize winner Charles Kao at Standard Telecommunication Laboratories (STL), continues today with the development of the Harlow Enterprise Zone. This is amplified by the decision of Public Health England to make Harlow its new headquarters and the location for it National Science Hub. This will employ 2,700 people by the time of its final completion in 2024.
A strategic business location
Harlow Enterprise Zone occupies a strategically significant site between London and Cambridge, with its proximity to London Stansted Airport making it a premier business location. The Harlow Enterprise Zone provides three specific opportunities:
- KAO Park – which will include a Data Centre Campus and new business park
- London Road North – which will see the development of a new 25 acre Science Park
- Templefields – the long term re-development of an existing industrial estate into a modern business park
Harlow Enterprise Zone also offers:
- 51 hectares of land for development opportunities, including 14 hectares of greenfield land for development activity
- Refurbished office space of up to 200,000 square feet at Kao Park
- Exemption from local business taxes for a period of up to five years providing discounts of up to £275,000
- Access to superfast broadband services
- Existing supply chain opportunities, particularly in Life Sciences, with companies in the London-Stansted-Cambridge corridor actively seeking collaborations and partnerships which the Anglia Ruskin MedTech Campus can facilitate
- Access to the Anglia Ruskin University Postgraduate Medical Institute and its Clinical Trials Unit – one of the largest and speediest in the country – providing ready access to clinicians and academics helping to significantly
- Access to the Anglia Ruskin MedTech Business Support network providing routes to funding for proof of concepts and assisting in securing public and private sector funding
The KAO Park development on the Harlow Enterprise Zone site also includes the creation of the KAO Data campus adjacent to the business park. KAO Park is located in the heart of the London-Stansted-Cambridge corridor and offers prospective occupiers a range of grade A office spaces.
Once fully developed, KAO Data Campus will comprise four data centres each split into four halls designed over three floors. It will be the only campus within 30 miles of London to combine:
- 150,000 sq ft technical space
- 200,000 sq ft of grade A office space
KAO Park has already received strong interest from businesses including defence innovation specialist Raytheon UK, the global electronics company Arrow Electronics and the world’s leading education and publishing company Pearson. Businesses will be able to take advantage of KAO Data’s hyper-connectivity, secure data resilience and scalable flexibility to support them and their innovative research.
KAO One at KAO Park is 100% occupied and Kao Two is 33% let with a further 52,000sq ft now available.
London Road North
The focus is on the creation of a Science Park, working with Anglia Ruskin University to create a Med Tech Campus as part of this space. It is expected that much of the development will be of a ‘design and build’ nature, given the very precise requirements of much of the target sectors. Infrastructure work will complete in 2017 and the first buildings finished by spring 2018. The Science Park can then create up to 500,000 square feet of space in its first phase and provides opportunities for companies to design their own building in an attractive well landscaped setting. The Science Park will also contain facilities such as cafes, a gym and nursery.
A phased re-development at Templefields is being undertaken for it to become the home of growing SMEs housed in high quality small business workspace developments. Its main focus will be on manufacturing, but there will be opportunities for other businesses within target sectors. An improved connection to Harlow Mill station will create the opportunity for businesses which will benefit from the excellent rail connections to Cambridge and London.
A superb cost advantage location
Harlow Enterprise Zone is the most competitive location in the South East of England, so close to London and offering cost advantages compared to London and Cambridge, such as:
- Rental prices between £7 and £20 per square foot
- Land values in the region of £600,000 per acre
- A catchment of 3.3million people within an approximate one hour journey of Harlow – set to grow by 20% by 2032
Harlow is strategically placed in the heart of the London-Stansted-Cambridge corridor on the M11 motorway that provides an opportunity for direct services to all three locations, and access to M25 and West Anglia Rail connections. This will be improved further from 2020 with the development of a new motorway junction on the M11 to the north-east of Harlow. Access and connectivity within the town is also easier than in more congested cities such as Cambridge and London with additional road infrastructure supporting Harlow Enterprise Zone.
Harlow Enterprise Zone is also located in a close proximity to London offering 35 minutes journey by train to London Liverpool Street, and in 15 minutes to Stansted Airport. Stansted Airport has an extensive global freight business and is also the largest European airport for passenger flights offering over 170 European destinations and 200 cargo destinations worldwide.
For more information, visit their website here: www.harlowez.org.uk